Leveraging Space Technologies to Achieve SDG 13 – Climate Action
The Sustainable Development Goal 13 (SDG 13) urges to “take action to combat climate change and its impacts”. Climate change is affecting virtually every country on every continent. Notably, many countries in Africa are vulnerable to the impacts of extreme weather events because of their limited ability to cope and adapt to those events. As a result, it is disrupting national economies and claiming lives.
To effectively monitor the progress in SDG 13, the UN developed five targets in total, all of which cover a wide range of issues surrounding climate action. The first three targets are “output targets”, while the remaining two are the means of achieving these targets.
The three outcome targets:
- Strengthen resilience and adaptive capacity to climate-related hazards and natural disasters in all countries;
- Integrate climate change measures into national policies, strategies and planning;
- Improve education, awareness-raising and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction and early warning.
The two means of achieving these targets include:
- Implement the commitment undertaken by developed-country parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change to a goal of mobilising jointly USD 100 billion annually by 2020 from all sources to address the needs of developing countries in the context of meaningful mitigation actions and transparency on implementation and fully operationalise the Green Climate Fund through its capitalisation as soon as possible;
- Promote mechanisms for raising capacity for effective climate change-related planning and management in the least developed countries and small island developing States, including focusing on women, youth and local and marginalised communities.
The Sustainable Development Goal 13 (SDG 13) urges to “take action to combat climate change and its impacts”.
Article Source :
Copyrights of the Climate News articles belong to the respective Media Channels.
This Climate News portal is non-profit and politically non-dependent forwarding readers to The Current Global Climate News